January 12, 2020

229 words 2 mins read

Bridging the Gap Between Open Source and University Students and Women

Bridging the Gap Between Open Source and University Students and Women

There exists a large number of programs that act as a source of motivation for university students to contribute to open source such as Google Summer of Code, Outreachy, Rails girls summer of code etc …

Talk Title Bridging the Gap Between Open Source and University Students and Women
Speakers Paavini Nanda (Software Engineer, Bloomberg)
Conference Open Source Summit + ELC Europe
Conf Tag
Location Lyon, France
Date Oct 27-Nov 1, 2019
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

There exists a large number of programs that act as a source of motivation for university students to contribute to open source such as Google Summer of Code, Outreachy, Rails girls summer of code etc. But,- What is the proportion of women and students contributing to open source?- Why is there such small number of women and students in open source?- Why do we need more women and students in open source?- What are the problems that students face when they first try to contribute?- How can these problems be solved?- What measures can be taken to make the metrics better?I myself faced a lot of these issues and I still keep getting a lot of questions from my juniors and other women batchmates about guiding them through it. I intend to answer all the questions. A lot can be done in this scope and it needs to be done.

comments powered by Disqus