February 6, 2020

207 words 1 min read

Microservices, Service Mesh, and CI/CD Pipelines - Making it All Work Together

Microservices, Service Mesh, and CI/CD Pipelines - Making it All Work Together

Microservices come with many advantages for massively scaling applications. CI/CD is a common approach to automating updates to these applications in kubernetes. Strategies such as canary deployments …

Talk Title Microservices, Service Mesh, and CI/CD Pipelines - Making it All Work Together
Speakers Brian Redmond (Cloud Architect, Microsoft)
Conference Automotive Linux Summit & Open Source Summit Japan
Conf Tag
Location Tokyo, Japan
Date Jun 19-22, 2018
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

Microservices come with many advantages for massively scaling applications. CI/CD is a common approach to automating updates to these applications in kubernetes. Strategies such as canary deployments can be simple with a basic website, but this is a difficult task with distributed systems. I would argue that many CI/CD systems are missing some key components such as: advanced routing, observability, and chaos testing. Service mesh solutions bring these missing components to kubernetes allowing us to shape traffic to specific versions and obtain metrics to better understand the impact of updates. I will demonstrate how to use common CI/CD tooling such as Brigade, Jenkins, or Spinnaker to drive deployments with Kubernetes. I will show how service mesh technologies such as istio, conduit, or linkerd ease the ability to efficiently deliver and test microservices in Kubernetes.

comments powered by Disqus