December 3, 2019

259 words 2 mins read

Moving from Mesos to Kubernetes Without Anyone Noticing [I]

Moving from Mesos to Kubernetes Without Anyone Noticing [I]

At Hootsuite, weve been using Mesos and Marathon as our microservices platform for over two years but last year, we made the decision to bet on Kubernetes as its replacement. Eight months later, a sm …

Talk Title Moving from Mesos to Kubernetes Without Anyone Noticing [I]
Speakers Anubhav Mishra (Developer Advocate, HashiCorp)
Conference KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America
Conf Tag
Location Austin, TX, United States
Date Dec 4- 8, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

At Hootsuite, we’ve been using Mesos and Marathon as our microservices platform for over two years but last year, we made the decision to bet on Kubernetes as its replacement. Eight months later, a small team of three operations engineers had migrated our first microservice from Mesos to Kubernetes. All without developers making any code changes. This was possible by architecting our applications with the proper set of abstractions. Fast-forward three months later and we have almost 20 microservices running on Kubernetes in production. In this session, we’ll do a live demo of migrating a service from Mesos to Kubernetes, just like how we did it at Hootsuite! We will cover why architecting your infrastructure with the “right” abstractions helps you do these huge migrations with ease and how Kubernetes already contains these abstractions. We will explore how having a service mesh helps routing between two platforms while doing the migration. Also, how a mature CI/CD pipeline can help you deploy to two platforms with ease. To conclude we will explore the differences in running a service in Mesos and Kubernetes.

comments powered by Disqus