November 29, 2019

268 words 2 mins read

Kubernetes Ingress Controller with Apache Traffic Server [I]

Kubernetes Ingress Controller with Apache Traffic Server [I]

Today, the Oath Media Brands and Products container platform is serving critical application workloads like Yahoo Sports and Yahoo Finance at a large scale using Kubernetes as the orchestration framew …

Talk Title Kubernetes Ingress Controller with Apache Traffic Server [I]
Speakers Mrunmayi Dhume (Senior Software Engineer, Verizon Media (Yahoo Inc)), Suresh Visvanathan (Sr Architect, Oath(Yahoo))
Conference KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America
Conf Tag
Location Austin, TX, United States
Date Dec 4- 8, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

Today, the Oath Media Brands and Products container platform is serving critical application workloads like Yahoo Sports and Yahoo Finance at a large scale using Kubernetes as the orchestration framework. For a platform at this scale, it is critical to have a powerful and flexible ingress routing layer (controller) that is able to handle the dynamic behavior of container based applications, such as auto-scaling, frequently changing pod IP addresses, self-serve onboarding and cluster-aware routing. This L7 routing layer must be quick to react to changes on the cluster without affecting its routing capabilities and impacting the in-flight requests. In a multi-tenant system it is even more vital that a single application deployment does not cause an impact to user traffic or hinder the release velocity of other tenants. We developed an ingress controller based on Apache Traffic Server that satisfies the requirements stated above, while remaining scalable and easy to integrate with both Kubernetes and the Oath ecosystem. In this talk/presentation, we will elaborate on the architecture of the ingress controller, the performance metrics we’ve achieved, and the key learnings from supporting such a critical infrastructure component.

comments powered by Disqus