December 8, 2019

183 words 1 min read

Kubernetes Feature Prototyping with External Controllers and Custom Resource Definitions [I]

Kubernetes Feature Prototyping with External Controllers and Custom Resource Definitions [I]

Getting patch into Kubernetes might be difficult. Getting a new feature into Kubernetes is… even more interesting experience. When working on the persistent volume snapshotting feature we realized t …

Talk Title Kubernetes Feature Prototyping with External Controllers and Custom Resource Definitions [I]
Speakers Tomas Smetana (Engineering Manager, Red Hat)
Conference KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America
Conf Tag
Location Austin, TX, United States
Date Dec 4- 8, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

Getting patch into Kubernetes might be difficult. Getting a new feature into Kubernetes is… even more interesting experience. When working on the persistent volume snapshotting feature we realized that the straightest path might not lead us where we wanted, Our original idea of adding few API objects and a controller become more complicated when we presented it to the community. So we took a small detour by creating the feature out-of-tree first. In the talk I will describe the journey of the volume snapshotting feature, how do the external controllers work, what are Custom Resource Definitions and how to add features to Kubernetes without changing its code base.

comments powered by Disqus