December 7, 2019

249 words 2 mins read

Certifik8s: All You Need to Know About Certificates in Kubernetes [I]

Certifik8s: All You Need to Know About Certificates in Kubernetes [I]

Certificates are an integral part of a secure Kubernetes cluster deployment. They are mainly used to secure the Kubernetes API server using TLS, but certificates (and keys) are also used for other clu …

Talk Title Certifik8s: All You Need to Know About Certificates in Kubernetes [I]
Speakers Alexander Brand (Senior Systems Analyst, Apprenda)
Conference KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America
Conf Tag
Location Austin, TX, United States
Date Dec 4- 8, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

Certificates are an integral part of a secure Kubernetes cluster deployment. They are mainly used to secure the Kubernetes API server using TLS, but certificates (and keys) are also used for other cluster functions such as client authentication, encryption of secrets, TLS bootstrapping, and the generation of service account tokens. Certificates pose interesting challenges to cluster operators. What does the certificate setup look like in an ideal scenario? How long should certificates be valid for? When nearing expiration dates, how can certificates be rotated to ensure the cluster remains operational? These challenges must be understood when it comes to deploying and operating a Kubernetes cluster. After this talk, you should have a better understanding of: - How each cluster component uses certificates for secure communications - How certificates can be used for authentication, including service account tokens - How the Kubelet TLS bootstrapping process works - How to plan, generate and deploy the certificates required for a secure cluster - How to rotate certificates that are nearing their expiration date

comments powered by Disqus