November 23, 2019

234 words 2 mins read

How can I contribute? A guide to making your first open source contribution

How can I contribute? A guide to making your first open source contribution

This talk is for youthe documentarians, developers, students, or community members wondering what you can contribute to open source and how to get started. Lucy Wyman discusses several ways open source projects need your help, what to look for in a project you're contributing to, and some first steps to making your first pull request.

Talk Title How can I contribute? A guide to making your first open source contribution
Speakers Lucy Wyman (Puppet)
Conference O’Reilly Open Source Convention
Conf Tag Making Open Work
Location Austin, Texas
Date May 8-11, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

Contributing to open source is a great way to give back to a project you care about, grow a community around software, and help make a project more useful. But often those who want to contribute have a few assumptions or misconceptions that prevent them from making that first pull request, including: If those sound familiar, this talk is for you. Lucy Wyman discusses several ways open source projects need your help, what to look for in a project you’re contributing to, and some first steps to making your first pull request. The truth is that everyone who uses a technology can help that technology, whether by submitting a bug report, correcting a spelling error in documentation, submitting a patch to fix a bug, adding unit tests, updating dependencies. . .the list goes on. Topics include:

comments powered by Disqus