October 11, 2019

201 words 1 min read

WebAssembly, Serverless, and the Cloud

WebAssembly, Serverless, and the Cloud

WebAssembly is enjoying a lot of hype and momentum right now, but most of it is focused around what it can do for end users and browser-based applications. There's more to WebAssembly than just the we …

Talk Title WebAssembly, Serverless, and the Cloud
Speakers Kevin Hoffman (Distinguished Engineer, Capital One)
Conference KubeCon + CloudNativeCon
Conf Tag
Location Shanghai, China
Date Jun 23-26, 2019
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

WebAssembly is enjoying a lot of hype and momentum right now, but most of it is focused around what it can do for end users and browser-based applications. There’s more to WebAssembly than just the web, and in this talk I will go through a number of ideal use cases for WebAssembly on the back-end, running in the cloud. I’ll demonstrate some code for how to load, execute, and verify the provenance of WebAssembly modules in a cloud environment. I’ll show various places where you might swap in WebAssembly in environments like Kubernetes or OpenFaaS. I’ll compare and contrast traditional “serverless” implementations with the possibilities enabled by WebAssembly and discuss the future of cloud functions and the impact a portable binary format like WebAssembly can have on distributed systems development.

comments powered by Disqus