February 20, 2020

254 words 2 mins read

Using Open Source to Build One of the Worlds Largest Interactive Data Visualization Experiences

Using Open Source to Build One of the Worlds Largest Interactive Data Visualization Experiences

Have you wondered what would it take to build an Android-based 80-inch touch surface? In the process of making my data viz tool VizInteract to work with large displays, I managed to find great answers …

Talk Title Using Open Source to Build One of the Worlds Largest Interactive Data Visualization Experiences
Speakers Supratim Chakraborty (HCI researcher, Simon Fraser University)
Conference Open Source Summit + ELC North America
Conf Tag
Location San Diego, CA, USA
Date Aug 19-23, 2019
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

Have you wondered what would it take to build an Android-based 80-inch touch surface? In the process of making my data viz tool VizInteract to work with large displays, I managed to find great answers to the question. Due to the need for vanilla android to send a video stream and read sequential touch events, a traditional Tablet with HDMI display out cannot serve the purpose. To solve this problem, we used the Android-x86 Open source project and an IR touch overlay to run android on the large display and support 12 touch points.In this talk, I will share how I modified the Android-x86 kernel to add driver support for an IR touch overlay. I will share my learnings from building multi-touch experiences on unnaturally large surfaces and how that poses interesting challenges, especially for a data visualization tool. Most notably, what are the key changes in the UX of affording dragging, rotation, pinch to zoom and scale gestures on an 80-inch tablet vs a regular android tablet.

comments powered by Disqus