October 20, 2019

215 words 2 mins read

Oops!...I Did It Again I Reinvented gRPC

Oops!...I Did It Again I Reinvented gRPC

Does your organization have talented engineers who know the ins and outs of your infrastructure and operations? Do they know just the tool that will solve all your problems and want to build it? Tha …

Talk Title Oops!…I Did It Again I Reinvented gRPC
Speakers Austin Lamon (Group Product Manager, Spotify), Dave Zolotusky (Software Engineer, Spotify)
Conference KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Europe
Conf Tag
Location Barcelona, Spain
Date May 19-23, 2019
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

Does your organization have talented engineers who know the in’s and out’s of your infrastructure and operations? Do they know just the tool that will solve all your problems and want to build it? That happens every day at Spotify and is the reason we’ve built our own RPC framework… complete with it’s own CLI, protocol, rate limiting, circuit breaking, and performance tooling… that we’re actively moving away from toward gRPC. Metaphorically, it’s much like choosing to build the perfect puzzle piece to fit within existing infrastructure versus tweaking infrastructure and adopting an Open Source puzzle piece. In this session we will discuss this ‘reinvention’ phenomenon, explain the tradeoffs of building foundational technologies like gRPC in-house (we accidentally built a Kubernetes competitor many years ago too, oops!), and detail the often overlooked benefits of using Open Source.

comments powered by Disqus