March 3, 2020

233 words 2 mins read

MPLS in Data Center Fabrics

MPLS in Data Center Fabrics

What I would like to tell about is the usage of MPLS in our Data Center Fabric built with commodity switches based on merchant silicon. MPLS is not a typical case …

Talk Title MPLS in Data Center Fabrics
Speakers Alexander Virilin, Yandex LLC
Conference NANOG77
Conf Tag
Location Austin, TX
Date Oct 28 2019 - Oct 30 2019
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video Talk Video

What I would like to tell about is the usage of MPLS in our Data Center Fabric built with commodity switches based on merchant silicon. MPLS is not a typical case for data centers due to its considerable complexity. This is what people generally think of deploying MPLS in data centers. However, we managed to get rid of complexity and I believe to obtain the elegant design. We use MPLS everywhere – in our built in-house network appliances, simple Linux hosts, virtual machines and of course in network fabric itself. What proves this architecture is good is that our network fabric has been successfully operating for these years. In my presentation, I would like to share our experience and describe the control plane used, the huge benefits we have received, the new great approaches we have been able to take and how scalability issues have been resolved because of MPLS. Moreover, of course, what fanny and severe bugs on the network equipment we have encountered.

comments powered by Disqus