February 27, 2020

253 words 2 mins read

Lightning Talk: Open Source and Network Operations -- let's make it work!

Lightning Talk: Open Source and Network Operations -- let's make it work!

N.B.: This would be best on Tuesday; I have to leave immediately following the lightning session on Wednesday, and I'd like to have time for feedback. Abstract: Ne …

Talk Title Lightning Talk: Open Source and Network Operations – let's make it work!
Speakers Leslie Daigle, ThinkingCat Enterprises
Conference NANOG76
Conf Tag
Location Washington DC
Date Jun 10 2019 - Jun 12 2019
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video Talk Video

N.B.: This would be best on Tuesday; I have to leave immediately following the lightning session on Wednesday, and I’d like to have time for feedback. Abstract: Networking and software have had a challenged relationship. While network operators could benefit from Open Source Software (OSS) going forward, OSS hasn’t traditionally met operator needs, and operators may not have the time or resources to contribute to it. This talk will introduce an information-gathering survey of network operators to gather information about:

• Scoping – would there be interest in reference implementations for new and existing open standards? Horizontal implementation of networking suites to facilitate new development (e.g., IoT, whitebox routing)? Opportunistic development of specific network management and monitoring tools?
  • Support and uptake – what are the primary factors in ensuring uptake of the resulting software? (E.g., involvement in development, having paid support plans available, etc). This lightning talk will introduce the survey, solicit input to help shape the questions to achieve a useful result, and help shape future OSS development for network operations. The survey itself is expected to run in August 2019.
comments powered by Disqus