September 22, 2019

193 words 1 min read

IngressRoute: A Path Towards a Better Ingress Object for Kubernetes

IngressRoute: A Path Towards a Better Ingress Object for Kubernetes

The limitations of the Kubernetes Ingress object have been papered over with annotations by the community for several years. Contour, the Ingress controller my team are building, introduced a new CRD …

Talk Title IngressRoute: A Path Towards a Better Ingress Object for Kubernetes
Speakers David Cheney (Staff Engineer, VMware)
Conference KubeCon + CloudNativeCon
Conf Tag
Location Shanghai, China
Date Jun 23-26, 2019
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

The limitations of the Kubernetes Ingress object have been papered over with annotations by the community for several years. Contour, the Ingress controller my team are building, introduced a new CRD which addresses the limitations of the incumbent Ingress object and unlocks the ability for teams and operators to utilise modern web application deployment practices in multi team and multi tenant Kubernetes clusters. In this talk I’ll explain, from the point of view of an Ingress controller implementor, the limitations of the ingress object, and how our IngressRoute CRD addresses the current shortcomings while making it possible for multiple teams to collaborate and delegate responsibility in multi tenant scenarios. A slide deck from an earlier version of this talk is available here: https://dave.cheney.net/paste/ingress-is-dead-long-live-ingressroute.pdf

comments powered by Disqus