January 14, 2020

242 words 2 mins read

Debian or Yocto Project? Which is the Best for your Embedded Linux Project?

Debian or Yocto Project? Which is the Best for your Embedded Linux Project?

As you contemplate how to put together the system software for your next Embedded Linux project you will probably be wondering which is the best path to take? Use a Linux distro such as Debian, (or an …

Talk Title Debian or Yocto Project? Which is the Best for your Embedded Linux Project?
Speakers Chris Simmonds (Consultant, 2net)
Conference Open Source Summit + ELC Europe
Conf Tag
Location Lyon, France
Date Oct 27-Nov 1, 2019
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

As you contemplate how to put together the system software for your next Embedded Linux project you will probably be wondering which is the best path to take? Use a Linux distro such as Debian, (or another of your choosing), or create a custom operating system using Yocto Project (or Open Embedded or Buildroot). At first sight, Debian looks easy, especially if you are using a Raspberry Pi, a BeagleBone or another board with a pre-installed Debian-derived system. So, why go to all the trouble of replacing it with Yocto?In this talk I will show you the strengths and weaknesses of each approach, using real-world use cases as examples. Spoiler alert: my conclusion is that … it all depends what you want to do. Debian is great for fast implementation and proof-of-concept, but for long term maintainability and control of the platform, you need Yocto. Now you need to come along to see why I believe this to be so.

comments powered by Disqus