March 3, 2020

298 words 2 mins read

Automating "Network Ready for Use" Testing

Automating "Network Ready for Use" Testing

Automating Network Ready for Use Testing This tutorial will showcase an approach using the pytest open-source tool to validate operational states of the networ …

Talk Title Automating "Network Ready for Use" Testing
Speakers Jeremy Schulman
Conference NANOG77
Conf Tag
Location Austin, TX
Date Oct 28 2019 - Oct 30 2019
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video Talk Video

Automating “Network Ready for Use” Testing This tutorial will showcase an approach using the “pytest” open-source tool to validate operational states of the network. The content will consist of a presentation and instructor live Python coding. The presentation will cover motivation for NRFU automated testing, introduction of pytest core-concepts, and discussion of network testing approaches. The instructor will live code each aspect of using pytest that covers: defining custom pytest CLI options, loading per-device test-cases, using pytest CLI options for filtering tests, and generating HTML visual based reports. The audience is expected to have a working understanding of Python, however this tutorial is not a hands-on coding workshop. User-Story: As a network engineer I need to ensure that the network is ready for use - whether it is for a new buildout, making changes, or fixing issues. Right now I am manually running all the “show commands” and visually inspecting the output. Doing this process manually is often difficult due to the number of checks I need to perform and managing all the complex data relationships that makeup network services. As a result, mistakes are made and I am concerned I am not testing everything that I need to. I need software to automate these tests and give me a pass / fail report. In the event of failures the report needs to give me the information I need so I can take corrective actions. Further reading: https://docs.pytest.org

comments powered by Disqus