February 9, 2020

229 words 2 mins read

Everything You Need to Know to Submit a Kernel Patch!

Everything You Need to Know to Submit a Kernel Patch!

Kernel hacking can be daunting to open source beginners. The aim of the session is to shatter this myth and help coders to get started with contributing to the Linux kernel. Having interned with Linux …

Talk Title Everything You Need to Know to Submit a Kernel Patch!
Speakers Sayli Yogesh Karnik (Student, Stony Brook University)
Conference Automotive Linux Summit & Open Source Summit Japan
Conf Tag
Location Tokyo, Japan
Date Jun 19-22, 2018
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

Kernel hacking can be daunting to open source beginners. The aim of the session is to shatter this myth and help coders to get started with contributing to the Linux kernel. Having interned with Linux kernel previously and more than 50 of my patches merged into the kernel, I have a decent understanding of the nitty-gritties in this area. The session will cover A to Z steps ranging from setting up the development environment, to creating a sample patch using version control, to sending the patch to the concerned maintainers. It will emphasize good patch practices and common coding convention mistakes that get valuable patches rejected. I will mention examples of areas in Linux subsystems that can be patched as starters. For eg. the checkpatch.pl script can be used to detect bugs in coding styles/resolving TODO’s. The delight of getting your first patch merged can match none other!

comments powered by Disqus