November 25, 2019

263 words 2 mins read

Tales from Lastminute.com Machine Room: Our Journey Towards a Full On-Premise Kubernetes Architecture in Production [I]

Tales from Lastminute.com Machine Room: Our Journey Towards a Full On-Premise Kubernetes Architecture in Production [I]

We sell travel services to more than 10 million customers worldwide in 15 languages across 35 countries, through hundreds of micro-services. What happens if you challenge the way you deliver your pr …

Talk Title Tales from Lastminute.com Machine Room: Our Journey Towards a Full On-Premise Kubernetes Architecture in Production [I]
Speakers Michele Orsi (Software architect, lastminute.com), Manuel Carlo Ranieri (System Administrator, Lastminute.com)
Conference CloudNativeCon + KubeCon Europe
Conf Tag
Location Berlin Congress Center
Date Mar 28-30, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

We sell travel services to more than 10 million customers worldwide in 15 languages across 35 countries, through hundreds of micro-services. What happens if you challenge the way you deliver your products with a new infrastructure based on Kubernetes? You’ll have to face classical developing, deploying and monitoring paradigms and bring everything to an entirely different level. It will also have to kept in mind that the business expects continuous delivery of new features without impact on the final customers experience. In this presentation we will explore our one-year-long journey to move a full business flow from a well-known legacy platform to Kubernetes through a seamless migration. We’ll dive into the full tech stack, from the services we give to our development teams to the way we provision servers, without forgetting the secret sauce we applied to make it happen. We will not hide the failures, the problems and the wrong assumptions we made along the way, but we will celebrate lessons learnt and the goal we achieved; allowing us to boost time-to-market and reliability of our systems.

comments powered by Disqus