December 26, 2019

209 words 1 min read

How I Survived to a SoC with a Terrible Linux BSP

How I Survived to a SoC with a Terrible Linux BSP

System-on-Chip vendors typically provide a board support package (BSP) which should be a good starting point to develop the software for an embedded Linux system. However they often seem to misunderst …

Talk Title How I Survived to a SoC with a Terrible Linux BSP
Speakers Luca Ceresoli (Embedded Linux Engineer, AIM Sportline)
Conference Open Source Summit Europe
Conf Tag
Location Prague, Czech Republic
Date Oct 21-27, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

System-on-Chip vendors typically provide a board support package (BSP) which should be a good starting point to develop the software for an embedded Linux system. However they often seem to misunderstand what the software designers need, and deliver something that makes their life harder without any apparent benefit. In this talk Luca will share some of his experiences with such vendor BSPs, featuring jurassic kernels, broken drivers, non-existing bootloaders, code of appallingly bad quality, ineffective customer support and Windows-only tools. You will discover why he spent weeks in understanding, fixing and working around BSPs instead of just using them. Luca will discuss the effects on the final product quality, what the options are when you face such a BSP, and what both hackers and vendors can do to improve the situation for everybody’s benefit.

comments powered by Disqus