November 30, 2019

241 words 2 mins read

Hacking and Hardening Kubernetes Clusters by Example [I]

Hacking and Hardening Kubernetes Clusters by Example [I]

While Kubernetes offers new and exciting ways to deploy and scale container-based workloads in production, many organizations may not be aware of the security risks inherent in the out-of-the-box stat …

Talk Title Hacking and Hardening Kubernetes Clusters by Example [I]
Speakers Brad Geesaman (Kubernetes Security Consultant, Darkbit)
Conference KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America
Conf Tag
Location Austin, TX, United States
Date Dec 4- 8, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

While Kubernetes offers new and exciting ways to deploy and scale container-based workloads in production, many organizations may not be aware of the security risks inherent in the out-of-the-box state of most Kubernetes installations and the common practices for deploying workloads that could lead to unintentional compromise. Join Brad Geesaman, the Cyber Skills Development team lead at Symantec, on an eye-opening journey examining real compromises and sensitive data leaks that can occur inside a Kubernetes cluster, highlighting the configurations that allowed them to succeed, applying practical applications of the latest built-in security features and policies to prevent those attacks, and providing actionable steps for future detection. The hardening measures taken in response to the attacks demonstrated will include guidelines for improving configurations installed by common deployment tools, securing the sources of containers, implementing firewall and networking plugin policies, isolating workloads with namespaces and labels, controlling container security contexts, better handling of secrets and environment variables, limiting API server access, examining audit logs for malicious attack patterns, and more.

comments powered by Disqus