January 22, 2020

210 words 1 min read

Fast Releasing and Testing of Gentoo Kernel Packages and Future Plans of the Gentoo Kernel Project

Fast Releasing and Testing of Gentoo Kernel Packages and Future Plans of the Gentoo Kernel Project

When I joined the Gentoo Kernel Team, my initial focus has been on taking a closer look at the kernel releasing process and documenting it. My investigations revealed that there was a discrepancy bet …

Talk Title Fast Releasing and Testing of Gentoo Kernel Packages and Future Plans of the Gentoo Kernel Project
Speakers Alice Ferrazzi (OSS開発者, サイバートラスト株式会社)
Conference Open Source Summit Japan
Conf Tag
Location Tokyo, Japan
Date May 31-Jun 2, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

When I joined the Gentoo Kernel Team, my initial focus has been on taking a closer look at the kernel releasing process and documenting it.  My investigations revealed that there was a discrepancy between the release steps followed by different developers. As a result, I proposed a policy to follow a more standardized approach to making releases. My study concluded that our team can automate kernel package releasing and testing, which frees up developer time to work on writing patches and fixing bugs. The Gentoo Kernel CI has substantially decreased the time and human effort required to make kernel releases and enabled us to keep up with the upstream release schedule - something that wasn’t feasible before the continuous integration. I will talk also about Gentoo Kernel Project future plans.

comments powered by Disqus