December 9, 2019

215 words 2 mins read

Embracing Cloud Native at a Thriving, Established Company

Embracing Cloud Native at a Thriving, Established Company

We are in the midst of a major shift at MailChimp. In many ways, we are a microcosm of the industry as a whole: moving from large monoliths to microservices and trying to figure out what that even mea …

Talk Title Embracing Cloud Native at a Thriving, Established Company
Speakers Brian Akins (Principal Engineer, MailChimp)
Conference KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America
Conf Tag
Location Austin, TX, United States
Date Dec 4- 8, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

We are in the midst of a major shift at MailChimp. In many ways, we are a microcosm of the industry as a whole: moving from large monoliths to microservices and trying to figure out what that even means. I will discuss the hands-on, real world experiences we have had as we embrace microservice techniques and technologies. I’ll discuss why we choose Kubernetes, Prometheus, and other cloud native technologies. I’ll show our approach to building and operating multiple on premise, bare metal clusters. We’ll talk about our existing development and deployment pipeline as well as our current experimental projects. We’ve had a few false starts and failures and will discuss those to help others possibly avoid the same issues. Finally, I’ll speak candidly about the struggles we’ve had getting organizational momentum for this transformation.

comments powered by Disqus