December 22, 2019

228 words 2 mins read

Dirty Clouds Done Dirt Cheap

Dirty Clouds Done Dirt Cheap

OpenStack is an open source cloud ecosystem that is designed to work well at all scales. But, how does it work for an individual wanting to deploy a cloud with their own resources? I've wanted to bui …

Talk Title Dirty Clouds Done Dirt Cheap
Speakers Matthew Treinish (Software Engineer, IBM Research)
Conference Open Source Summit Europe
Conf Tag
Location Prague, Czech Republic
Date Oct 21-27, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

OpenStack is an open source cloud ecosystem that is designed to work well at all scales. But, how does it work for an individual wanting to deploy a cloud with their own resources? I’ve wanted to build a small cloud at home for some time, mostly to serve as a testbed for my development on OpenStack, but also as a platform to virtualize my growing home infrastructure. So I allocated a budget of ~$1500 USD (the price of my first desktop computer) and set out to build a cloud. This talk will provide an overview of my experience building a small compute cloud from scratch, on essentially a shoestring budget; from acquisition of hardware, through installation and configuration of the cloud, to my use cases for the cloud. It will provide an overview of building a minimum compute cloud by hand, and how to get started using a personal cloud and potential future applications.

comments powered by Disqus