December 14, 2019

277 words 2 mins read

Container Runtime and Image Format Standards - What it Means to be OCI-Certified [I] - Jeff Borek, IBM &

Container Runtime and Image Format Standards - What it Means to be OCI-Certified [I] - Jeff Borek, IBM &

With the proliferation and rapid growth of container-based solutions over the past few years including container-based solutions from almost all major IT vendors, cloud providers, and emerging start- …

Talk Title Container Runtime and Image Format Standards - What it Means to be OCI-Certified [I] - Jeff Borek, IBM &
Speakers Jeffrey Borek (WW Program Director, IBM), Stephen Walli (Principal Program Manager, Microsoft)
Conference KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America
Conf Tag
Location Austin, TX, United States
Date Dec 4- 8, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

With the proliferation and rapid growth of container-based solutions over the past few years— including container-based solutions from almost all major IT vendors, cloud providers, and emerging start-ups—the industry needed a standard on which to support container image formats and runtimes while also ensuring interoperability and neutrality. The Open Container Initiative (OCI) was launched with the goal of developing common, minimal, open standards and specifications around container technology without the fear of lock-in. OCI has recently issued v1.0 of its container image format and runtime specifications, which enable a consistent and stable platform for running containerized applications. The next phase in ensuring broad adoption of common container image format and runtime specifications is the OCI Certification program, which will be launching soon. This session will provide an overview and goals of the program, factors to consider if becoming OCI-certified makes sense for your container project, how to get your container project OCI-certified, and how you might be able to gain interoperability benefits from OCI-certified solutions. This session will also include a demo of the OCI Image validator being run against container images from container image registries from multiple vendors.

comments powered by Disqus