November 24, 2019

201 words 1 min read

BoFs: Data-Aware Scheduling in Kubernetes [I]

BoFs: Data-Aware Scheduling in Kubernetes [I]

In order to provide prompt results and efficiently deal with data-intensive workloads, Big Data applications execute their jobs on compute slots across large clusters. Also, for optimal performance, t …

Talk Title BoFs: Data-Aware Scheduling in Kubernetes [I]
Speakers Felix Hupfeld (Founder, Quobyte), Johannes M. Scheuermann (Cloud Platform Engineer, inovex)
Conference CloudNativeCon + KubeCon Europe
Conf Tag
Location Berlin Congress Center
Date Mar 28-30, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

In order to provide prompt results and efficiently deal with data-intensive workloads, Big Data applications execute their jobs on compute slots across large clusters. Also, for optimal performance, these applications should be as close as possible to the data they use. Data-aware scheduling is the way to achieve that optimization and can conveniently be set up using Kubernetes. We’ll present two different use cases: First, we’ll make use of how Big Data applications like Hadoop and Spark can use their native HDFS protocol for data-aware scheduling. Second, we’ll demonstrate an efficient way to write a data-aware scheduler for Kubernetes that satisfies not just your application’s requirements, but also keeps your admins happy. As a bonus, it’ll also allows us to run data-aware scheduling on applications other than Big Data.

comments powered by Disqus