November 27, 2019

245 words 2 mins read

50 Shades of System Calls [I]

50 Shades of System Calls [I]

Transaction tracing is typically thought of something that only developers do when they need to troubleshoot a piece of their software. And lately, its also been used for tracing microservice-based t …

Talk Title 50 Shades of System Calls [I]
Speakers Jorge Salamero Sanz (DevOps Evangelist, Sysdig)
Conference CloudNativeCon + KubeCon Europe
Conf Tag
Location Berlin Congress Center
Date Mar 28-30, 2017
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

Transaction tracing is typically thought of something that only developers do when they need to troubleshoot a piece of their software. And lately, it’s also been used for tracing microservice-based transactions too. These are really useful capabilities, but what if you could profile everything? Yes everything - software functions, microservice calls, file access, network requests, even bash scripts. How would this change your view on your systems? How would this enable you to better understand what your software is actually doing? In this talk I’ll show you how to trace everything using Sysdig, an open source system visibility tool. We’ll cover:

How to trace everything from a method in your software, a service call, a network request, a shell command execution, a script, and more What effective tracing in containerized environments requires How to report on your traces to make the most sense of the data Use real-world examples of tracing that show its benefits

When you leave this talk, it’s very likely that you’ll skip the next one so that you can go trace something!

comments powered by Disqus