November 4, 2019

231 words 2 mins read

The bait and switch of open source

The bait and switch of open source

Open source sells itself as being about technical problemsdelightfully thorny technical problems at that. However, successful projects are filled with people, which introduces a whole different set of problems. Katrina Owen illustrates the many ways in which things went wrong for Exercism because she didnt treat people problems as first-class citizens.

Talk Title The bait and switch of open source
Speakers Katrina Owen (GitHub)
Conference O’Reilly Open Source Convention
Conf Tag
Location Austin, Texas
Date May 16-19, 2016
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

The story of Exercism is one of chaos, confusion, and surprising successes. The site started out as a workflow optimization tool intended to be used by 25 people, but within a short amount of time, thousands of people were using the site, and hundreds of people were contributing to it. This sounds wonderful, except that it wasn’t really clear who all of these people were, why they were there, or what they needed or wanted. The questions that had me stumped were not about automated tests, continuous deployment, or architecture but rather about mentorship, motivation, and communication. I thought I was solving technical problems, but the truly difficult problems were all inherently squishy. I illustrate the many ways in which things went wrong for Exercism because I didn’t treat people problems as first-class citizens and attempt to answer some, if not all, of the following questions:

comments powered by Disqus