October 15, 2019

200 words 1 min read

Quality, equality, and accessibility

Quality, equality, and accessibility

The state of web accessibility is rapidly improving. This rising tide lifts all boats by driving quality frontend development. Laura Palmaro explains how we can continue this upward trajectory using the rich array of tools and learning resources now available.

Talk Title Quality, equality, and accessibility
Speakers Laura Palmaro (Google)
Conference Fluent
Conf Tag The Web Platform in Practice
Location San Francisco, California
Date March 8-10, 2016
URL Talk Page
Slides
Video Talk Video

For me, accessibility is personal, not hypothetical. Like many visually impaired users, I rely on assistive technology and the ability to use browser and operating-system features to customize user interfaces to my needs. But accessibility goes beyond any single group of users: at its core, it’s about creating interfaces with the highest possible degree of flexibility and usability. This boils down to a few key ideas, and if we keep those in mind at all stages of the development process, we can create products of the highest possible quality from the start and avoid expensive accessibility retrofitting. The state of accessibility on the Web is rapidly improving. Learn how we can continue this upward trajectory using the rich array of tools and learning resources now available.

comments powered by Disqus