November 30, 2019

190 words 1 min read

Pat Helland and me: How to build stateful distributed applications that can scale almost infinitely

Pat Helland and me: How to build stateful distributed applications that can scale almost infinitely

In 2007, Pat Helland published "Life Beyond Distributed Transactions: An Apostates Opinion," in which he conducts a thought experiment on how to design a distributed database that can scale almost infinitely. While the paper explicitly addresses distributed database design, Sean Allen shows that the ideas are far more widely applicable, particularly in scaling stateful applications.

Talk Title Pat Helland and me: How to build stateful distributed applications that can scale almost infinitely
Speakers Sean Allen (Wallaroo Labs)
Conference Velocity
Conf Tag Build resilient systems at scale
Location New York, New York
Date September 20-22, 2016
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

In 2007, Pat Helland published “Life Beyond Distributed Transactions: An Apostate’s Opinion,” in which he conducts a thought experiment on how to design a distributed database that can scale almost infinitely. While the paper explicitly addresses distributed database design, Sean Allen shows that the ideas are far more widely applicable, particularly in scaling stateful applications. Sean explores some of Helland’s ideas through practical examples from his experience building data processing systems using tools like Apache Storm and, more recently, developing a stateful distributed stream processor at Wallaroo Labs.

comments powered by Disqus