November 26, 2019

220 words 2 mins read

Dealing with anxiety in operations

Dealing with anxiety in operations

Justin Lintz defines some of the stresses operations people face, outlines methods for mitigating them, and discusses his personal experience of having an anxiety disorder while working in an operations role, raising awareness about the anxiety issues many people face but are afraid to talk about.

Talk Title Dealing with anxiety in operations
Speakers Justin Lintz (Spring)
Conference Velocity
Conf Tag Build resilient systems at scale
Location Santa Clara, California
Date June 21-23, 2016
URL Talk Page
Slides Talk Slides
Video

The nature of being in operations can be very stressful. No matter how well you think you have your infrastructure together, disasters still happen. According to the NIMH, 18% of adults in the US have an anxiety disorder. I discuss what I’ve learned dealing with a general panic disorder over the last 17 years and how I’ve managed to cope with it while still working in a job that brings with it a lot of anxiety. I’ll discuss what anxiety is and what a panic attack is like and educate the audience so they can understand what some of their coworkers may be going through. I’ll go over examples of how controlled burns, premortems, being comfortable in your toolsets, and on-call buddies can help in alleviating anxiety. My talk will also have information on getting help with mental health.

comments powered by Disqus